Philadelphia's Creative Reuse Center
- In 2014 we saved 26850 lbs (over 13 tons!) of film & theatre props, set pieces, art supplies, textiles, lumber, and many other reusable materials from landfill by putting them back into the local creative economy.
- 2540 lbs of this reusable material was fabric alone, which means that last year we were able to save over 2x the amount of fabric we saved in 2013!
- 17 film & television production companies, theatre companies and area prop shops donated reusable materials to The Resource Exchange in 2014
- 33 film, television, theatre, and performance projects used reclaimed building materials, art supplies, fabric, and props from the Resource Exchange in their productions in 2014, which means that creative reuse and the re’s outreach in Philadelphia’s performing arts community went up 94% from 2013!
- In 2014 we hosted 2 creative interns from Steppingstone Scholars, 1 international fellow from President Obama’s Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders Initiative, and 1 artistic intern from Masterman High School.
- Over 18 educational institutions and programs ranging from community centers, to local grade schools, to institutions like The University of the Arts, Philadelphia Community College, and Temple, used our salvaged materials in classrooms, projects, and events. We were able to supply reused materials to 28% more educational institutions and programs than we did in 2013!
- In 2014 we supplied 80% more individual artists, crafters, and remakers with salvaged materials for their creative projects than we were able to reach in 2013.
- We featured and promoted 8 artists’ works in our store through our monthly reCREATE featured artist program.
- Over the course of 2014 we hosted over 229 people in our reCreate Gallery and store during our special events like creative workshops, tours, classroom visits, and gallery receptions.
- In 2014 we were able to host 16 free or low cost community events at The Resource Exchange including our reCreate Workshops, local artist gallery openings, and our Grand reOpening Event Featuring an informative panel and discussion with award winning Kensington Kinetic Sculpture Derby Makers.